Submitted: 04-09-2003 by STW

UPDATE TO PRIOR REVIEW

After a couple of years with plastic capella, I sold mine and bought a used fiberglass capella. I'm extremely pleased with the new fiberglass model. Everything I loved about the plastic model is there but now it is even stiffer, lighter, and faster. A couple of minor complaints: 1. the used fiberglass model I bought does not have the cushy foam thigh brace pads that my plastic model had. I've glued some thin foam padding in and it is fine, but not as nice as the plastic boat's. 2. the fiberglass model I purchased has a built-in storage space for a spare padel molded into the top of the deck near the back of the boat. Sounds good, but the spare paddle sucks; it takes up room on the back of the boat and means that the rear hatch opening is smaller than usual. The hatch volume is the same, but it's harder to stuff things into this smaller opening. Other fiberglass capellas don't have this option. They have a regular rear hatch and an additional third day hatch behind the cockpit. I really wish I'd held out and found one like this instead of the one I ended up buying.

Finally, after spending more and more time in boats, I might someday want to get a slightly narrower boat. The capella performs quite well in all conditions, but I'm eyeing a p&h sirius now.