Submitted: 04-09-2003 by John

FIRST TRIP REPORT -- PLEASANT SURPRISE: When I purchased the AirFrame I felt sure that I would end up trying it once and returning it to the store. I did not believe that it could live up to its advertising. I was pleasantly surpised and am happy to say that it passed on all accounts. I was lucky to have unfavorably windy conditions fot the test voyage. I put in at Jack London Square on the Oakland estuary of the San Francisco bay. It tracked and turned very well as I paddled away around the docks. After a bit I headed in the brisk winds and choppy seas in the center of the passage. I was very comfortable with the boat in all orientations to the waves. The nice balance of rigid flexiblility made the boat much more stable in waves than a hardboat of the same length. It shares that feature with the ancient skin boats. I took even less water when I purposely paddled broadside to the wave than I would in my hard boat. I came home an ordered the custom spray skirt like to keep dry for convienence. I look forward to having the boat ready and available in my trunck at all times. Even though I found one small problem with the front aluminium/plastic insert, I was impressed with quality of the boat. The company responded immediataly to the problem with a replacement part. They were friendly and helpful when I called. They seemed very concerned to stay on top of any issues with the boat. They made sure to arrange to pick up the defective part so that they could study and prevent future problems. I am happy to see a company sell a quality product at a great price and truthfull marketing. I will add updates as I have more experience with the boat.