Submitted: 04-04-2003 by hal56
Just purchased my Zoar Sport today; got a great deal on a 2002 model from a huge canoe/kayak store up in Farmville, VA. The dealer seemed very knowledgeable and even raved that a friend of his was very competitive in a Zoar versus longer touring crafts in local lake races. It came down to the Prijon Calabria or the Necky Zoar for me, and I'm glad I went with the Zoar... had a Looksha before and liked it, and the Zoar is cut from the same cloth: a great, responsive, all-round coastal and lakes tourer that is not too big and not too small. Seems to track just fine and lean just fine; the speed was good for a 14' craft; good primary and great secondary stability. I paddled into a stiff breeze, and then back in a following breeze, and even broach (broadside) to 1' chop and it handled just swell. I am 5'9" and 190 and it fits just fine; the thigh braces may be just a bit too forward, but the seat is very comfortable. I look forward to more paddling in my Zoar, and hope to get my girlfriend comfortable in a decked boat finally -- good job, Necky! I give it a 9 because, hey, no boat is perfect...