Submitted: 03-31-2003 by Pete Palagonia

This is my first true sea kayak. I built it from plans (which I dont recommend due to the exacting measures needed for this craft) and I have to say I'm very pleased with it...

Speed is effortless - which isn't to say it requires no muscle. However, it is a kick to watch the miles rackup as the water goes wizzing by in your peripheral vision. Still, this isnt to say it cant be handful... in choppy water over 1' the multichines tippiness becomes quite noticably evident. What few times I needed a low brace, the boat responded very very easily. Just gentle pats here and there.Turning just cant be said to be easy. Infact, turning with a beam wind in 2' seas is a pain requiring some good technique, balance and many sweep strokes. Still for all that, it tracks amazingly straight in winds that would surely have sent other kayaks weathercocking long ago. It is quite the loyal dog in this respect.

I've been told that a more stable kayak is faster in high seas requiring less bracing and support strokes. I wish I'd known this - and I feel the point wasnt stressed enough - or at all in a previous catalog of this manufacturer. Still, on flatter water, she whisks along.

Broaching is very very common in 2 foot seas requiring stern rudder strokes - again slowing the craft. Still, I love it.