Submitted: 03-17-2003 by flatpick

I got a chance to paddle the Currituck yesterday on a very fast river, the Sandy, and then down the Columbia river, here in Oregon. Total mileage 15NM. 2 in swift water, 13 in flat with light current, no wind. I weight 185lbs and had my full day kit (15lbs)

The boat handled well. Very well balanced and predictable. Peel outs and eddy turns in swift current were spot on with the hull fully releasing. Edge control, again, was well balanced and predictable. I was able to surf some standing waves and the boat handled well. The full, loose bow gave a fairly dry ride when I was on the sweet spot on the wave. Of course when I fell off the wave it pearled and buried in the green water. In the flatwater the boat seemed to accelerate well and held it's glide quite nicely. When turning the boat flat, the hull had a very predictable YAW pattern and the yaw was easily stopped or left to keep tuning. Very nice. Edged the boat spun around quickly. In a bit of very light (3-5 knot) wind the boat weathercocked a bit, as expected, but was easily countered with boat tilt and sweep. The skeg really stopped the WC desires at a bit of loss in glide. The skeg is 3/8” thick plastic.

The cockpit is comfortable and well appointed, tho I wish the coaming was 1-2” longer. I couldn’t quite raise one leg without lifting my butt. Knee braces were padded tho not much to grab on to. The backstrap is very nice and fully adjustable. The deck rigging is adequate tho could use a few more fittings/ bungies for forward spare paddle placement. Bungie and perimeter lines were poorly tentioned. Perimeters were too tight and bungies too loose. Go figure. Grab handles were comfy for the carry but would be a PITA in a gnarly swim. Seemed to have enough volume and stowage for an expedition load for someone around 150 lbs. I would be pushing it with a full load.

All in all, a very nice boat, especially for the value.

Botetourt County Tourism: