Submitted: 03-13-2003 by JRR

I bought a kevlar vagabond one year ago based on the New Yorker ad that I could have "more than a canoe." While there is some comparison, they really are different creatures. I have since bought a canoe which can be landed nose first on a shore-line - the poke boat must be "sidled-up" and not every spot has 15' of open shore for landing. On the other hand, I live on the mid-Atlantic coast and enjoy streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, bays, and ocean. A lifetime favorite memory is taking the poke boat out from the point at Cape May, NJ and paddling parallel to the shoreline with schools of bottle nose dolphin. The 16' Vagabond took the rolling 2' swells beautifully as long as I avoided becoming perpendicular to the waves. I would NEVER try that in a canoe. So for fun, for paddling and for versatility - get a poke boat. For practicality and quiet water fishing - especially for more than one - get a canoe.