Submitted: 02-24-2003 by birren

My first boat was a SoloPlus and it's great for moderately twisty rivers. The Prism was a close second and I found a used one (44# kevlar composite) two years ago. Talk about a smooth operator! It'll take 3-4 strong strokes or 5-6 easy strokes in hit-and-switch mode, with a boat length or more for each stroke if I let it glide. It will also respond to a well executed C stroke when I want to stay on one side for a while. It's a great tripping boat and tracks even better when loaded. My favorite mode of travel is with a clamp-on rowing rig on big open water - about half the effort of paddling and easily keeping up with fast tandems.

I raised the back of the tractor seat about an inch to make it easier to kneel in, which helps the lower back. If you want to turn on a dime or do whitewater forget the Prism. But if you want a stable, predictable boat you can "cover ground" in and carry a week's or more worth of gear, laughing at the waves, give 'er a try.

Portage Pal: