Submitted: 02-18-2003 by rayjt

I paddled an Explorer HV one time for about an hour and liked it. The water conditions were flat and no wind. All kayaks paddle great under those conditions. Well I bought one anyway, it was late in the season and I went out for the day in very windy conditions. It handled very well and I LOVE THE KAYAK. I was told it was a good rough water kayak and they were right. It has a rope skeg, I index the rope with magic maker. Each mark let me know how far down the skeg is, no guessing for various wind and wave conditions. I've read reviews where there were complaints of the skeg box leaking. The deck and skeg box (housing) are connected with a hose and hose clamps at each end. Check the hose and clamps to see if they didn't loosen up during shipping. This is the only place the assembly could leak so check it out. One happy owner.