Submitted: 02-05-2003 by BigJockJoe
Having owned and paddled the Perception Vizcaya I must now update my earlier review. I finally purchased a Perception Vizcaya in 2000 and sold it in 2002. I think the major reason I didn't keep this kayak was its weight. At 65 lbs empty, it was very cumbersome to lift (especially alone!) and even with help it was awkward. I also didn't appreciate the smallish front and rear cargo areas, or the loose fitting day hatch much either. I am a larger paddler, at 6'4" and 210#, and this kayak was one of a very few that I could actually fit into and still have some room. Actually, as it turns out, it had TOO MUCH room! Trying to pad it out as I may, it still didn't provide me with a secure enough fit for edging and bracing that I wanted. The materials and workmanship however, were top-notch. I especially liked all of the deck rigging! The seat was nice too, but the seatback was lacking in support. The rudder was almost impossible to deploy, and very hard to bring up and get into that slot on top of the deck. This kayak is very hard to turn in wind! Without the rudder to help, you will build massive muscles trying to turn the Vizcaya in winds over 20 mph.

I guess my biggest gripe is the weight. I loved the shape and look of this kayak, but at 65 pounds, and my 210 pounds, and 60 pounds of cargo, you are paddling in excess of 335 pounds. Try pushing that around in a shopping cart! So, I bought a smaller, much lighter kayak (29 lbs!) and will give my impressions of that one later this summmer. The Vizcaya is a comfortable, stable kayak for inland lakes and rivers, and is a good beginners kayak, but just be young and strong enough to lug it around and just pray that you don't have to paddle it into the wind or far from your put-in after your arms are worn out.