Submitted: 01-13-2003 by derrickam

There were so many good reviews here that I thought I better at least give you a word of warning if you are considering this boat. I have been kayaking for 3 years now and that means almost every other day that the water is not frozen here in Wisconsin. I get a lot of use out of my Kayak. I bought the captiva early last spring as an upgrade from my first boat a CD breeze. It was recommended to me because I am 5'8' 220lbs. Apparently this was the perfect barge to hold my "big" behind. Because it was so early in the year I could not test paddle it and to some extent had to trust the salesman. Big mistake.

In my experience the Captiva is like paddling a concrete block through honey. I was tired and sore after each paddle. (yes, I will blame a % of that on technique) But even so this is a slow, lumbering boat. I dragged that thing through the water for about 2 months before I could not take it anymore and traded it back in.

If you are bigger don't get talked into a barge. Test paddle a bunch of boats. Personally I found the Cape Horns by Wilderness Systems to be perfect for me. We have a 15 & 17. Remember if you are new to the sport, don't buy a boat you can't test paddle!