Submitted: 01-06-2003 by somalley
The Loon 111ís width and huge cockpit make it great for beginners or for taking a small child out for a leisurely flatwater paddle. At around 45 lbs, itís also easily carried and loaded on and off a car. Just don't expect the Loon 111 to go fast or turn very well. In fact, I'm continually amazed at how much this boat actually resists turning--a full sweep stroke will only turn it maybe 15 or 20 degrees, and the second you stop paddling, the boat stops turning. The phrase ďhandles like a pigĒ goes through my mind every time I step into this boat.

Still, Iíll probably never sell this boat. It requires next to no skill to propel in quiet water, holds one adult and one child, and is nearly indestructible. I suppose a solo canoe would be more versatile, but Iíd hate to put an unskilled guest or a rambunctious child in a solo canoe. Plus, a good solo canoe costs at least twice what our used Loon cost us. Thus, itíll always have a place in our garage as a family cruiser and/or guest boat.