Submitted: 12-23-2002 by SteveB52

My wife and I have been paddling the "Camper" for 7 years now in mostly light conditions with a couple of Labrador Retrievor dogs who make things interesting. As you might imagine I like the canoe for its great stabilty. We've had the dogs decide to leave mid-trip and return to re-enter the canoe while still on the water without any problems or upsets. The canoe is ideally suited for the job it's name denotes: camping. The canoe carries a pile of stuff and stability increases without much loss in performance -not that this is a performance boat but it does move along nicely. We've also found that the canoe is best paddled dual. Using the camper solo can be challenging in fast water or if a wind is blowing due to the flat bottom. Positioning in the centre of the canoe with a lean improves the situation but the camper's strengths are in it's easy paddling and stability. The canoe tracks and handles moderate conditions well when paddled dual and with some weight in it. I've done some fast water with this canoe and found that the canoe handles well and is easy to move across the currents but a lot of side slip in the turns is unavoidable. Overall we've been very pleased with the canoe and rate it very highly in the role for which it was designed. The construction and materials used are high quality and it's a nice looking traditional canoe.