Submitted: 12-18-2002 by BobDobbs

Have used this boat for two seasons now, so I feel qualified to opine. People either seem to love or hate this model, while my feelings are more ambivalent. I have only paddled in a limited number of sea kayaks, but I can definitely say that this indeed a true big water boat, rather than a rec boat wannabe as the previous reviewer stated. The primary stability is indeed a bit lively, but secondary is very solid. The seat mine came with is the closest thing to orthopedically correct that I have seen in any yak, and will adjust (with some swearing) to snug your thighs right up under the braces. You need to have this boat sideways to some waves to fully appreciate the semi-hard chines, as they will hug the face of a wave without much effort on your part. I have found it very easy to roll, and I feel that with a little more practice, a sculling brace is definitely attainable. Rear deck bungees are ideally suited for a paddle float rig. Storage space should be adequate for at least a week for someone with a backpacker mentallity. As someone earlier said, this is a good first boat. It is not the fasted thing in the water, but cruises much better than its width to length ratio would suggest. It does tend to submarine a bit in following waves, and will broach when surfing down the face of a steep wave. weathercocking is noticeable, though not any worse than some "true" sea kayaks that I have used. The rudder mount does suck, as it is very difficult to secure when underway. I chose not to use the rudder for the most part, as tracking is very good. In fact,almost the only time I engage the rudder is when paddling upstream in a river, or in a very stiff crosswind, (in which case the waves will cause almost any boat to vear off course). At 65+ pounds, it is a heavy carry, but will also take quite a beating.