Submitted: 12-09-2002 by Wannapaddle

I LOVE my Scout! I didn't want a sit-on-top because I planned to hunt and fish during the winter months here in Louisiana and I wanted the added protection from the elements of a cockpit. The Scout has a very roomy cockpit. I'm glad that it came with a clean bow (no eyelets etc...) because I wanted to install my own in specific locations chosen by me. I'm able to use it as a "layout" boat for duck hunting and have created a frame of PVC pipe and parachute cord that supports custom sewn Shadowgrass material for a hunting blind. It works great. I even have it arranged so that I can paddle out to retrieve birds without any disassembly. I did this by making the side panels of my blind where they can slide back like curtains. I can't make a full padle stroke, only about 80%, which is plenty for retrieves. For fishing I made a wooden workdeck that installs in less than 20 seconds and provides space for a small tackle box, a rod holder, a cleat and other "stuff". I rigged stretch cord in a loop on both sides from bow to stern which enables me to attach a 3lb. folding anchor to either side and employ it fore or aft. The top part of the cord runs through eyelets and I clip the anchor onto the bottom run. I put a cleat on my wooden work deck to tie the anchor line to. Works great.

Back to the boat - Easy to handle, tracks well, tough yet light enough for me to load easily. Very stable while seated and I can kneel in it on calm water without fear. A GREAT all around kayak. Suggested improvements might include a fold down seat to improve aft storage and it would be nice, though not neccessary, to have the ability to readily attach a factory made rudder system. Only thing I really would fuss about so far is the work deck that I purchased for it BUT I learned that if I turn it upside down, slide it forward, and attach it to the carry handle it makes a great rain cover for gear stored on the bow.