Submitted: 12-05-2002 by N.E.

The Acadia is a very good boat. Its width translates into excellent initial stability. It's a reasonably fast boat for its size, especially if the paddler is in decent shape. It tends to head into the wind, and in choppy conditions it can be hard to control. The Acadias from 2001 and before had a nice-sized hatch that held a surprising amount, due to the width of the boat. It's a great boat to learn on, and versatile enough to handle almost any conditions the average kayaker is going to face. Small enough for one person to handle, it excells at park-and-play jaunts on flat water. I've finally outgrown the Acadia, with my interests shifting to sleeker boats complete with rudders and multiple hatches, but the lessons I learned in the Acadia will serve me for as long as I can lift a paddle.