Submitted: 11-27-2002 by harley lewin

I have one of the very first Azul Sultans ever built which I bought used from the guy they built it for. He had used it three times so I bought it. I've been renting different boats for years and am an advanced intermediate, working out mostly in open ocean waters off of New York, Connecticut and Maine. In preparation for this purchase I spent almost a year fitting myself (6'0, 178lbs) into a variety of boats, all styles, lengths, etc. When I tried this one on dry land it fit great. When I got it in the water, even better. Primary stability is medium as the boat is quite narrow and rounded on the bottom but once you are used to it seems quite stable, just not something for a beginner. The secondary stability is superb. Again, its chines may not be as hard as some, but once you learn the boat you get it up on a chine it just stays there. It is one VERY fast boat and handles the roughest weather with little weathercocking and/or bouncing in the waves. I've had it out in 5 foot rolling ocean swells, cross currents, standing waves high enough you couldn't see over them and the boat does everything you ask of it. I haven't felt the need tolower the skeg yet. The fit and finish are perfect as everyone says. One trick on this boat, when they made it they laid some extra fiberglass along the keelline. Makes it a lot easier to avoid scratching up the bottom when you beach. The boat does leak a little around the sprayskirt. I fit a new one, larger stretchcord inside the edge and firmer neoprene, which seems to do better but it still leaks when you roll. By the way, I went from rolling a 6 foot playboat right to rolling this one and man this one is a pleasure. Snaps right up regardless of technique. It has large amount of storage which we really make good use of. I doubt very much you could do better.

Suspenz: