Submitted: 07-28-1999 by Jay

I am a beginner and after trying many different kayaks, I decided on the Current Designs "Extreme". This model is Kevlar (45lbs), 18' 11" and a beam of 21 1/2". It is designated as a "high performance boat".The narrowness of the beam concerned be in the beginning since being new to the sport I was afraid of too much tippiness. However, I did want to get a boat that I would grow into. The boat is very comfortable and after a 45 minute demo, I was hooked. It turns easily; Can stand on edge forever; Is fast, tracks straight and an instructor I know said it was the easiest boat he ever rolled. Initial stability is fair but secondary is great. Has a rudder but haven't needed it yet. The only disadvantage to this boat is that it is hard to get into. Narrow cockpit but the problem is the rear of the cockpit. You cannot wrap your hand around the back coming. There is a "hump" there which is part of the groove for the skirt and it is very deep. When you try to get in with a paddle assist you cannot wrap your hands around the paddle and the coming making it pretty difficult to get in and out. In fact it is the hardest boat I've tried so far to get in to.As you can see, I did not let that stop me from buying it. The "Extreme" has too many other good qualities to ignore. A boat that is comfortable ( like the P&H Sirius), fast, tracks well, and turns easily (especially with a little lean), good storage area... what more would you want.