Submitted: 11-26-2002 by BillS

I have owned and fished an OK Scrambler for a couple of years. I recently picked up a new WS Tarpon 120. This is a shortened version of the 16' Tarpon which is well known for its' fishing capabilities. The new 120 besides being shorter, also has a tankwell. It uses the same hard plastic folding and removable seat back as the 16. It has a roomy cockpit for my 6' frame and does not feel cramped in the least. Besides the big bow hatch, there is a small hatch in the center of the cockpit and a hatch/dry bag storage hole direclty behind the seat back. The boat comes with bungee like paddle holders on each side that also work nicely for a fishing pole. There are handles at the balance point center as well as at each end.

A few comments comparing the Tarpon 120 to my OK Scrambler. The Tarpon will float in 2-3" less water than the scrambler. The Tarpon is a little tippier, but firms up quickly at about 10 -15 degrees of lean. In the Scrambler, if you lean left, you turn left. In the Tarpon, Lean Left and you turn right. The Scrambler accelerates faster, but the Tarpon will glide a bit longer. I don't have a rudder on my Tarpon, and don't really see the need for one. The boat turns easily and is very sensitive to a twist of the waist and paddle thrust to shift direction. In that respect, it is a bit squirrlier than the scrambler. Also, the OK Padded seat fits nicely right on top of the plastic seat in the Tarpon, like it was custom made. It adds a lot to comfort, no numb but at all. The Tarpon does have wet footwells, and a set of scupper plugs will be the next addition along with a rod holder or two. Hull slap is less on the tarpon, but you can make noise with the foot rests as they have a bit of play. I spooked a couple of fish until I realized you need to keep good solid pressure on the pedals to keep them quiet The tank well on the Tarpon is quite a bit wider than the Scrabmler, and will easily hold a decent sized cooler, or large bucket. It also has a flatter bottom. But beware, it also has scuppers and will stay wet towards the front without plugs installed. I weigh 220, and the boat seems like it is made for my weight range.