Submitted: 11-25-2002 by MWH

I recently purchased a new 2003 dagger halifax from my local rei to add to my fleet of boats and fill the void of a large volume touring kayak. After shopping for a year or so to find a boat that would fit my 6'3" 255lb frame and still offer the performace i was looking for i was relieved to finally paddle a boat with as much room and performance as the halifax, the next generation atlantis. Not only did i find it to have enough room for my self, but i had room to strech and pack all kinds of goods in the cockpit. Although the boat was slightly slower than i'd like, it was fast enough to keep up with my friends eclipse and necky looksha iv. The boat edges fairly well and the poly hull seems to offer the durability and price i was looking for. On the down side it is a poly hull. It weights close to 70lb and you can fell it when you load and unload this mamoth from the top of your truck. With all of that exrta room i feel like i have too much volume inside and am scraficing potential porformance gains from a slightly snugger fit, but thats the trade off. I gave the halifax a 8 because it met all my expectations and would recomend it only to very large paddlers. I would even go as far as to say that anyone smaller than myself would be better off with a lower volume boat that gave a snugger fit. It is a great value and provided a better paddling experience that that of the eclipse, which had too high of a center of gravity, or the cape horn, which was comfortable in fit but was not as responsive.