Submitted: 11-18-2002 by Tom Kirkman

I already have a WS Mallard, which I think is the very best small pond, creek or stream fishing kayak out there. But I wanted something a little bit larger and faster for longer stretches of water. The Big Critter turned out to be just what I was looking for.

It's remarkably fast. And, it tracks well even though it doesn't have a visible keel. Instead it has two channels that keep it moving straight. Very effective. The boat is also incredibly stable. I really, really like this boat and it rigs out nicely for fishing.

The only thing I don't like is the seat back. I found it a bit uncomfortable. I wish they would put the Phase-3 seat in it and they certainly could as they have it in the Critter Expidition and the seat bottoms are the exact same. That would make it perfect and make me rate it a 10 instead of a 9.

New York Kayak Co.: