Submitted: 11-11-2002 by kayaker75

I bought my Guide 147 last spring. I was used to my Dagger Delta (kayak) which has to be the most stable small watercraft I've found. So when I got in the Guide and felt how "tippy" it was, I began to question all the reviews on this site that lauded it's stablility. But after paddling around for a while, riding over the wake from powerboats and jetskis, fishing, and even getting in and out of the canoe in the middle of the river... I was sold. I had originally planned to buy a 17' "Discovery" that was on sale for the same price as the Guide, but, due to the great reviews for the Guide, and it's smaller size which was better suited to my needs, I went with the Guide. Ironically, the first day out I watched some folks in a Discovery 174 tip over on calm water for no apparent reason. I still haven't figured out how that happened, but I'm glad I went with the Guide! But back to the point, the initial tippiness sucks. And you sometimes have to remind yourself how good the secondary stability is. Other than that, it's a great boat. It is a little heavy, and I'm a pretty big guy and can load it onto the car by myself. But I understand why there's complaints about the weight. I've been paddling a kayak for the past few years, and enjoy the openess and roominess the canoe offers over the kayak. I can take a lot more of the creature comforts on those overnighters. Bottom line... I like it and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, the price is definitely right, it's tough and paddles great. See you on the water!

Warren Light Craft: