Submitted: 11-09-2002 by FGH

I have owned a Dagger Bayou II for 3 years now and have taken it out on 40 trips or more, primarily with my son and daughter. I always looked upon it as a tandem boat for the express purpose of being able to share safe water experiences with my children. The wide beam provides the stability necessary to provide confidence in the boat by young paddlers. I have only taken it out once as a single paddler and found it more difficult to control due to the bow riding higher out of the water. With two paddlers we have paddled flatwater, rivers out of their banks, and up to some class II water. I would not recommend anything over class II without a spray skirt. The boat does not have a rudder or skeg but I have found it tracks well with two paddlers working together. We have taken trips up to 6 hours long and 14 miles and found the seats to be comfortable. The space available behind the rear seat and underneat the front cowl has been adequate for day trips, but would be inadequate for overnight trips. The poly construction of the boat, yes a bit heavy for one person to carry, has been shown it be rugged. Its relatively short length at under 14 feet has made it easy enough to store in my garage. All in all this kayak has been perfect for providing what I hoped in a first boat to use with children. For sole paddling I have another boat.