Submitted: 07-26-1999 by David A. Drupa

The Eclipse is Perception's updated Sea Lion. I recently bought the Eclipse and rented a Sea Lion for my wife. I found the dimensions to be roughly the same, however, the Eclipse's bow volume has been increased. Other updates to the model include perimeter safety lines, new hatch covers (still neoprene innards), and new rigging cleats. Also, the carry handles have been greatly improved. The storage capacity of the Eclipse is more than adequate for trips lasting several days. The cockpit is comfortable and fits my 6 foot 190 pound frame well. Initial stability is very good. Secondary stability is good but lacks a feeling of limit. You don't get a 'shelf' feeling like you do on the Sea Lion. The Eclipse will lean WAY out there and smoothly transition into a capsize. The Sea Lion gave you a definite sense of where it's limit was. The Eclipse is like playing the trombone, you memorize the positions to get the notes you want. All in all, I am extremely pleased with my Eclipse. It's fast, stable, and hauls a large load. What's not to like.

New York Kayak Co.: