Submitted: 10-28-2002 by woodtick

After looking for quite some time I purchased a Souris Quetico 18.5 in Durra-Tuff. In August I took it on a 96 mile loop in the BWCA. After hauling my 86 pound Grumman, the 56 pound Durra-Tuff seems light as a feather. I did back to back 280 and 240 rod portages and my canoe is light enough to allow me to carry a small pack with it. It handles big water really well and it has lots of leg room for my bow paddler. It is slower than a MNIII but that is not a problem for me as I am not into racing from place to place. I like the rib system they use as it doesn't flex unless you run it into a summerged rock. I hit one on Oyester lake. Being the stern paddler I was able to see the canoe flex in and then pop back. When it was happening I was sure I would have to repair it, but all it came away with was some scratches.

The seats are web which I find comfortable even after paddling all day. I did raise them up a couple of inches to a height I prefer.

My criteria in choosing the Quetico 18.5 was enough volume to handle a 6 week wilderness trip, able to handle big watrer, and strong.

As to durrability, I am seeing more Souris canoes than any other type when I paddle in the BWCA. Most of the outfitters seem to have switched to using them. After years of watching renters abusing canoes, I guess they must know the Souris canoes can take it.

NRS: