Submitted: 10-17-2002 by jllong

The Elaho is the next generation. The Looksha IV is a good boat but the Elaho is better. I spend a lot of time rolling and doing Greenland skills and the Elaho is the best off the shelf boat I have ever paddled for this stuff. That does not mean that it will fit you the same as it does me (Greenland boats are custom fit and Greenland rolling boats are very low volume).

As far as sea kayaks go the Elaho is not a fast boat. It just does not have the length. Necky makes some very fast boats (Looksha II and III). What the Elaho does better than any other boat I have paddled of yet is perform well when it is not right side up.

The edge is rock solid, slightly more stable on an extreme edge than a Romany. Paddling 4mph I have turned this boat nearly 180 degrees with only an initiating stroke at the beginning of the turn. One stroke and and an extreme edge takes it around.

It also has a very low (for a stock boat) rear deck which makes lay-back maneuvers much easier on the back and more effective. I can easily fist roll this boat (closed fist)

The biggest criticism I have of this boat is the persistant bulkhead leakage. Plastic boats are a pain in the butt for manufacturers because nothing sticks to plastic well so foam bulkheads never stay sealed. Everyone seems to put up with plastic boats that leak but this is problem that should be solved. I have not purchased a plastic Elaho for this reason.