Submitted: 10-14-2002 by steve
I've had this boat for three seasons, and I'm 6'-1"/225lbs. I've recently moved to a British boat, but I still have it and plan to keep it because of what it's good at.

I actually have the older version, not the NM. The only difference that I know of is that it's 17' instead of 17'10", and Necky's newest boats have recessed deck fittings. Anyway, with a 25" beam, it doesn't lean too well. It's not as playful as the British boats, and with the rudder on deck it weathercocks alot. I don't like the seat, however I haven't done much about it! The neoprene hatch seals can be a pain, although they're very dry. There are alot of deck bungees, but no lines so I added my own.

So why do I keep it? It hauls tons of stuff for camping trips, and with the big hatches I can bring a full-size tripod, etc. It also has alot of initial stability, so I can easily photograph from it without having to worry about the stability of the boat. It's also very well made and the finish quality is excellent. I'll keep this boat for longer trips where I can paddle it loaded (too big for me to paddle empty) or when I want to photograph from it. It's also a forgiving boat for a beginner if a friend wants to try it. So the bottom line for me is that it's a good boat, but not exactly what I'm looking for in most of my paddling.

Mitchell Paddles: