Submitted: 07-25-1999 by Dennis Paine

Bought my Carolina early this spring from LL Beans. (Wife works there) :>) I have paddled canoes for the past dozen years and wanted to expand my paddling to some of the offshore islands on the Maine coast. I also paddle weekly with several friends on various bodies of intercoastal water, rivers and ponds. I have two smaller whitewater kayaks also. The Carolina has met all my expectations +. I bought a spray skirt for wave splash and paddling in the rain. Last week while deer scouting/pond fishing I spent the evening on a pond in the pouring rain. It was amazing how cozy, dry and comfortable I remained with raingear and the spray skirt. Something hard to do in my Mad River canoe. The Carolina tracks very well. I cannot find fault with paddling resistance, 10 miles trips are easily accomplished. I put my 67 year old mother in it last week on a calm pond and couldn't get the smile off her face! At 6', 180 pounds I find the Carolina very well situated for my frame. Yep, I'm pleased and this kayak will satisfy me for quite some time. Hey, when I'm ready to drop a couple of thousand, sure I'd like a fiberglass touring kayak, for a few hundred, the Carolina is a value. Nice tip on spraying silicone on the deck hatches! Doing it tomorrow! Buy one folks, you won't be disappointed. Perception, I will accept gratuities! :>) Dennis.