Submitted: 10-10-2002 by G. Baldwin

We recently purchased two Werner Players: A 197cm bentshaft for my fiance and a 200cm straightshaft for me. First let me say that the bentshaft works great for my fiance, who has sore wrists from computer work. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a bentshaft, too. It does feel better on your forearms and wrists! As for the paddles' performance, it is a very comfortable, reliable WW paddle. There are no extremes, meaning it won't disappoint you and it won't do anything spectacular, either. For a lady kayaker or someone with good moves and finesse, I think the Player would be 1005 perfect. My only concern is it's ability to power a "big move", meaning fast acceleration to catch a wave or wrestling to get the boat on one end or the other. Please take this "concern" with a grain of salt - I have fairly strong arms and like a big, powerful blade. So maybe, for someone like me, the Sidekick would be a better choice; even though it's too much for someone else. All in all, I recommend the Player for someone who wants a paddle they can rely on, that will neither disappoint nor wow you - just do exactly what you ask it to do. Given the cost of a good paddle - and I recommend you spend the extra money for a bentshaft model - what more can you ask of the Player?