Submitted: 10-07-2002 by Paul

Check out the QCC before buying anything! My father is kicking himself for buying the Perception Eclipse over this boat!!! I waited about 3 months before writing this. I have the Q500X, which sports a wider 23" beam and is approx. 16'10" (Kevlar). I have used this boat throughout New Jersey and New York. This includes lakes, rivers, saltwater bays and the ocean.

This kayak has excellent initial stability and extremely predictable secondary stability. John Winters did his homework on this one. The boat tracks very good and weathercocking is minimal, although I do recommend the rudder for rough water and high winds. In a following sea, the front of the boat has enough buoyancy to keep the bow from pitch poling, and in a head sea, the boat is simply awesome. It slices through chop for breakfast. I've been in 3' whitecaps with 30 mph winds in all sea conditions and found the hull to be stable, dry and fast. QCC did an incredible job with the fit and finish; Phil is a great guy to deal with. The company offers you a lifetime warranty with a No Bull S. policy towards customer satisfaction. The fit and finish is truly in a class by itself. The watertight compartments are very nice and the openings are larger than any boat in its class. I've had 200+ lbs. of gear (I'm 5'10", 185 lbs) during extended camping trips and the boat felt nimble and responsive. You'll appreciate the smart track rudder system and the stainless steel hardware used throughout the boat. My only problem with the boat is the deck rigging. While practicing paddle float re-entry, I had a bungee cord knot unwind. I would like to see QCC make the bungee fastens more secure. In addition, this boat has lines that make people heads turn. I can discuss this for an hour, please email me if you have any questions. Buy with confidence, you will not be disappointed!

Just as an aside: This company made a mistake with my first order and sent me a boat without thigh bracing. Rather than suggest a quick fix, they built me a new boat and it didn't cost me anything. In fact, I offered to pay half the shipping cost and they refused to take my money.