Submitted: 10-04-2002 by Bowcatz

The little Otter is my very first kayak, so I was very careful the first time I got into it and paddled about cautiously around the boat landing at a nearby reservoir a little before dawn on Wednesday. I loved it within the minute. It was like I was born to kayak and the little Otter brought that out. The little blue Otter was more responsive than I expected to light pushes with the kayak paddle and I quickly crossed the quiet water without much effort. At a 170 pounds, that's quite a feat. By the time the sun had fully risen, I was on my way out into main body of water(staying near the shore though). As out of shape that I am, I managed to go two miles before getting too tired.

See now why foot pegs are so important. The small of the back takes the strain where the foot pegs would let the entire muscle system in the legs take it. I recommend a seat cushion, too, if you have arthritus in your hips like I do. Foot pegs and a couple of paddle hooks to hold the paddle while I fish are my next purchases from Old Town.

For a first time purchase of a small kayak (9' 4") for getting into back waters where low tree limbs and thick overgrowth occurs, I recommend the little Otter. I took the Otter below the spillway and was soon manuevering between the half submerged willows and cypresses like a pro. Did some fishing and the Otter remained balanced as I cast the line.

For the price, I bought a good little kayak that I hope lasts for years.