Submitted: 10-02-2002 by Dave

I've owned my Eclipse for two years and now feel qualified to give a review. I'm 6'-1", 160 lbs (running is passion) and fit easily and securely into the cockpit. The cockpit is large, which aids in getting in and out of my boat fast. I also have plenty of room to shift my legs around on extended paddling trips. Thighbraces function well and are comfortable.

I've found the Eclipse handles best when evenly loaded with at least 20-30 lbs of gear. When riding light she does tend to weathercock and is sluggish in the turns. Not a problem when she's loaded down with a weeks worth of gear. This is a touring boat, not a day tripper. When day tripping I'm always sure to throw a couple half gallon containers of water in the bow compartment with the rest of my sparse gear in the stern. Loaded properly the Eclipse tracks and turns better than the other 17 footers I've paddled. The quality of workmanship on my boat is superb. Can't nit pick a thing.

I'm puzzled by other's comments regarding this boat. The seatback is not plastic and the hatch covers are not held in place by bungies. Sounds like somebody got hold of a very ragged out and abused rental model. And yep any plastic hull will oil-can unless it is stored properly. Keep it in the shade and store it on it's side. Great job with this boat Perception.

Botetourt County Tourism: