Submitted: 09-27-2002 by Claire

Pros: Great build, very stable, easy to inflate, plenty of room, high weight limit.

Cons: Heavy, poor tracking in windy conditions.

The Bottom Line: If you decided you want a heavy duty duckie over a hardshell and you arent wanting to backpack with it the this is your yak! Versatile, sturdy and stable.

Recommended: Yes

After much deliberation and research we bought this duckie on the internet for $440 never having tried or seen it "in the flesh". The research showed that it was a great buy for the money but sevylor did have a history of making cheaper commercial craft so it was a bit sneered at by experienced paddlers. However this seems a bit of a departure for sevylor and is far superior to their other lightweight kayaks. This is a serious piece of kit and most definitely not a toy. I assume that if you are looking for a duckie you will have realized the various pros and cons versus a hardshell so I wont go into that.

My fiance and I are certainly not small people as I am 5'9" and about 140 lbs and he is 6'3" and 240lbs so we needed something big and sturdy and this certainly delivers. It works best when he is in the front as this offers more leg room and I guess it minimizes the rocker a bit on flat water. I could really find any other duckie which was so large and had a 650lb limit. You wont have enough room for a nights camping stuff if you are our size but there is plenty of room for luch, life jackets, camera etc etc. It is very quick and easy to inflate (about 10mins) using a Coleman double action hand pump.

The seats are very comfortable and can be easily adjusted, they also have a useful drink etc holder on the back of each one. Once inflated it is very stable and trustworthy and looks very professional. So far we have just used it on flatwater and slow moving rivers. Of course as a duckie it isn't going to track as well as a hardshell but for pootling about and exploring its ideal. This kayak is designed for whitewater so its always going to be best at that and has great self bailing ports.

It is very sturdy and we have grounded on rocks with no problems and paddled over debris with nothing more than a very superficial scratch. I was rather worried that as it is smaller than a canoe or double kayak we would be clashing paddles all the time but this isn't the case with a minimum of co ordination. It also paddles well with one person paddling and another resting and the seats can be moved for use as a K1.

It realistically folds up to about a meter square and a foot deep so while you can easily get in your car boot and store it in your apartment you aren't going to be backpacking with it. It does take a while to dry it out and is best if you can store it partially inflated for a day or so. Another huge advantage is that you can travel long distances with it my car and not have to worry about the extra fuel consumption if you had a hardshell strapped to the roof. Also if you are staying in a motel you can bring it into your room and make sure no one steals it overnight! Compared to the prices of other makes this is a steal.

Ability Level: Intermediate