Submitted: 09-26-2002 by GHB

I am making the transition from Sit on Top to WW kayaking, and kayak surfing in particular. I basically bought a used H2 255 on a whim, and without much research. Therefore, I ended up with a river runner, not a playboat. That being said, I think the H2 255 is a good boat for a big guy - I weigh 220# with a 34" inseam. My first reaction was how hard it was to wet-exit. So, I removed the center front pillar, and that solved THAT problem. Now, I feel more confident of taking chances, knowing I can swim if I have to. This boat has great stability for a beginner, carves if you lean and flat turns if you even think about turning. I haven't tried any outrageous tricks in it yet - because I am not that experienced; but it feels like you can do some basic stuff with the boat, and it throws around easier than the length would indicate. You cannot get vertical in it - the ends are to roomy, and it's designed not to dive in rivers. Speaking of rivers, not surf, if I was planning to go down a reasonably large river, I would feel confident in this boat. So, in summary, I would recommend the H2 255 to someone trying to do what I am trying to do: Learn WW kayaking with a minimum of hassles in a boat that is more of a forgiver than a performer. I guess when I/you get better, you graduate to more of a playboat, right?