Submitted: 09-10-2002 by SMS

I've surfed the Big Stik in conditions varying from mild surf to very rough stuff. I started on a Yak Board and went to the Islander. The Big Stik has a much steeper learning curve than the Yak Board but is, IMHO, alot more rewarding. The Big Stik feels more like a longboard than any kayak and is much more responsive and faster on the waves than any other kayak I've surfed. I put the tri-fin system on my boat and use it only when the waves are glassy and breaking on the outer bar. I don't use them if there's a chance I might have to run all the way into the beach. The fins do help carve a wave by keeping the back end from fishtailing. The Big Stik is very easy to paddle out when compared to the Yak Board and accelerates very easily when trying to catch a wave. Mine is also relatively watertight and never needs to be drained during the course of the day. I was constantly draining the Yak. My only complaint with the Big Stik is the adjustable foot braces. They were constantly being pushed all the way back to the stops whenever a wave hit them. This becomes a real problem when trying to get on the boat for the paddle out. I solved the problem by tieing the release lever in a fixed position. I would recommend the Big Stik to anyone who is serious about sit-on-top surfing but not serious enough for an epoxy wave-ski.