Submitted: 09-10-2002 by jmdurant2000
After trying a large number of plastic kayaks, and after reading the paddling.net reviews, I decided to try a Capella. The closest dealer was over 4 hours away, but I ended up going to Sea Kayak Georgia, a ten hour trip. I ended up buying the Capella after a brief demo one year ago. The Capella is clearly superior out of the box on construction grounds alone. The triple layer polyethylene makes for a boat as rigid as a fiberglass boat, and yet does not weigh any more than my smaller plastic rec kayak. Unlike every other poly boat I have tried, it does not oilcan. The triple layering, together with the welded plastic bulkheads, makes for a boat that is as durable as a tank, yet the Capella handles like a sportscar. I did not fully appreciate this until I got caught in wind-driven chop in the Chesapeake Bay recently, and was able, despite my relative inexperience, to ride it out smoothly and keep the Capella on track (and upright). As sea kayaks go, the initial stability is good, and the secondary stability excellent.

Also, at 6'4" and 230 pounds, the number of kayaks that can accommodate me comfortably is rather small. With minimal outfitting, the Capella fits like a good hiking boot. Excellent boat!

Point 65: