Submitted: 09-09-2002 by woollywilma
I was looking into a vessel to use for fishing, and I settled on the Sierra after considering and testing a bunch of boats. I liked the Pungo, Loon 138, and the Walden Scout, but the Sierra couldn't be beat. Everything the folks here say about it is right on. It's light weight, durable, manueverable, it tracks well enough, it's stable, and it's less expensive than almost every other rec. boat out there. I bought the expedition model with the rear flotation that really came in handy on an extended day trip. The rear hatch held my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes, and a couple extras. It kept it all dry after running class I and II rapids. For about 15 extra bucks, I also installed front deck rigging. I've run mine through class II without a skirt, and I only took on a little water. But, I carry a pack under the front deck rigging that protects me from a lot of splash. This boat will provide any paddler with a great sense of confidence. The Sierra was also by far the most comfotable for me. I'm 5'10'' 235lbs. and I have a long torso and shorter legs. The boat is a great fit for someone like me. If you're looking into a rec boat that is short enough to manuever in creeks but also tracks well and has a high weight capacity, then you have to test out the Sierra.