Submitted: 09-06-2002 by heineman

I paddled a lot of boats before selecting this one... We are now a three kayak family... I have a CD Expedition which is a great boat for expeditions where you want speed and unbelievable capacity.... My other boats is a CD Storm, which is a great beginner boat although the rudder system leaves something to be desired... now for the boat to be reviewed... I love it... great in surf, turns on a dime, accelerates quickly and is almost as comfortable as my Expedition. I don't think the quality is as good as my Expedition... just doesn't have that perfect finish that CD has... It's light, given it's Kevlar, and is my boat of choice in waves and day trips (or even shorter multi-day trips...)

The skeg has a design problem... if it gets stuck (which it will do), it is very easy to kink the cable and then it never really works right after you straighten it out... I have noticed that Valley kayaks are now using some sort of solid steel cable that doesn't seem as likely to malfunction.... Dagger needs to look into this... If you can afford the Kevlar, do it... the boat in Kevlar is so light it is amazing...

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: