Submitted: 09-05-2002 by richwest

I was looking for a light, stable, sit-on-top for Abalone Diving and playing in the surf... I saw the Typhoon on line and ordered it without riding it first. It's great! It's so stable that I can enter it in deep water with my weight belt on and still not be tippy. With the storage compartment removed, I can strap everything down in the well, including the weight belt, the gear, and the Abalone, and enjoy the paddle back. The Typhoon is great in light 4' surf (haven't tried larger surf yet). Wet ride going out through breaking surf, fun rides surfing back in. With no scupper drains, the cockpit fills up but it's not a problem since I'm playing in the surf to begin with. I can turn back on the wave at the end and even broach but not dump. I just turn out again to catch another wave. I'll need to add gear eyelets. I'm even thinking of adding some scupper drains. The seat bottom is slightly below the water line, which adds to the stability. But hey, I'm out to get wet anyway, right? The reclined high-back seat is extremely comfortable and let's me lean back as I'm going through a breaking wave. The bow is shaped like a surf board, the hull bottom is rounded/chined with a concave center and a skeg-like rear end. My 70 year-old mother-in-law loved it paddling around at Lake Tahoe. My 6'3" brother-in-law really enjoyed the ride and my sister-in-law said it handled really easy. No water bottle holder! I'll have to add that too. It's light (plasic - 39 lbs. 11'2" x 29.5"), moves through the water well, tracks well, and turns easy. I'm having lots of fun in it.