Submitted: 09-04-2002 by Chance

I bought the Outback Mirage in July. I love it. I found it stable and forgiving. I went as far as purchasing all the available options. None have failed me yet. I have the bimini top to protect me from the sun on a slow paddle or while fishing. I got the sportsman package which included the cart for land transport and a cooler. Both are used often. I also purchased the sail. This feature is a blast. I am not an accomplished paddler or sailor. I only started in July. I can say that I have had more fun with this kayak than any other water toy I can think of. The major draw back for this unit is the weight. When alone I push it into the back of my Forester. I cannot get it on the roof rack alone.

I think it tracks well. I never operate it with out the foot pedels in place but I do paddle it and allow the fins to act as a centerboard the same for sailing. I find the rudder very responsive regardless of the mode of travel.

I am still learning the capabilities of this kayak and finding out that it is a very talented machine. Even under sail I have not tipped this, but I do think we need a better rigging set up for the main sheet.

All in all I give it a 15 - I know the scale is 1 - 10.

Thunder Bay Tourism: