Submitted: 09-04-2002 by

I have now owned my Malibu Ocean Sports Pro2 tandem for one year. Malibu Ocean Sports Pro2 tandem kayak has not been around long enough for me to be able to give you a report on it's long term durability, nor I have I owned it long enough to report longer than a yearís use. I have dragged mine over the beach with and without rocks, rammed the rocks at King Harbor. Surf launched and landed and the boat is still in great shape. I have loaded the hull with all my gear while on top of my car and driven in scorching desert heat and have experience no distortion to the hull (I use the Yakima Hully Roller system). All winter I stored it under a cotton tarp with one hatch off. This summer it has been stored on a special dolly I made, on my back patio semi covered. It has the three hatches and 4 flush mount rod holders. I installed the rod holders myself.

My one problem with the boat is minor. While I had the boat on the ground at my house my son jumped on the front deck next to the round hatch, the plastic flexed enough to pop the silicone seal on the hatch. I removed the hatch and used 3m 5200 with stainless nuts and bolts. I prefer stainless nuts and bolts over rivets when I can use them and I prefer heavier duty sealant/adhesives to plain old silicone.

The center seating position for solo use is high and dry. When I paddle in the rear seat and my 8 year old son is up front, it is a dry ride. When my 210 lb brother is in the front and we have the hull loaded with gear, that's a different story. Tracking is great unless there is 20 knot wind and high seas plus improper weight distribution. Stability is beyond awesome. After surf launch (solo), I tie up to the kelp get on my hands and knees, turn around and get my gear out of the large rectangular hatch. The weight capacity and the large rectangular hatch were two of the main reasons I purchased this kayak. When my son and I fish tandem, the deck lay out couldnít get any better. He can access our lunch and other things through the front hatch while I can manage the other more difficult equipment through the large rectangular hatch. The large rectangular hatch is great for easy access to rods, reels, fish finders, tackle bags, dry bags, extra paddle and to put everything away during surf launches and landings, also not to mention perfect for stowing away a trophy fish. The deck space is more than roomy plus the front and rear tank wells are helpful for things other than dive tanks. My drift chute sits rolled up in the front tank well and stays put in the wind. I put a dry bag (leashed) in the rear tank well and it stays put all day. I fish the Pacific Ocean mostly in the Malibu to Ventura areas and many of the local lakes.

The only reason why I canít give this kayak a 10 is that I am one of the many guinea pigs giving it the long term shake down. I bought the package deal with the seats, paddles and hatches and I am very happy. I use this kayak primarily for fishing and find it to be well suited for that use. I will be a return customer on their newer products in the future.