Submitted: 09-03-2002 by ladams

I intended to buy Thule's Hull-a-port but changed my mind due to the reviews I read. Instead, I ordered Yakima's Landshark saddles and Mighty Mounts for my Pathfinder factory rack...they got almost universal raves from the reviewers.

First off, I had a couple of misconceptions. I expected a soft, closed cell foam surface on flexible saddles. Nope. The surface is hard, ribbed plastic, and the vaunted flexibility is only slight. Still, that was MY misconception. They installed without frustration or tools in about 20 minutes. Great! I loaded my boat up and took off for a three week, 4000-mile trip. Fantastic trip, btw, but that's a different story. The boat rode rock solid, with never a quiver or vibration...it was like part of the car!!! And sound was no problem. It was noticeable but by no means irritating. All this without snugging the ties down so much as to distort the hull at all. So far, Raves!

Then I took the boat off the rack in Rockport, MA...what's that funny white powder on the saddles??? And why is there a big dull patch on my formerly pristine gel coat??? Bummer! Guess somebody should have warned me that these saddles require padding. As it was, I basically hauled my boat around on an automatic sander.

Still like the saddles, but I had to cover them with pieces of an old terry towel to protect the boat, though some damage had already been done. Fortunately, its not so bad that a good wax job won't cover it up...I hope. Bottom line...they are easy, solid and secure but no product intended to protect a $2000 boat should do that to the gel coat!!! The saddles would have gotten a 10, were it not for that.

Sealline: