Submitted: 09-02-2002 by Sploosh

After paddling an Islander Ventura for a year I decided I wanted a kayak that would cover more miles faster. I went for the pseudo race boat Cobra Eliminator because it is light, relatively cheap, plastic, and kids can paddle it. The hull is sleek and slippery and slices through the water like a knife. I was immediately able to paddle about a half mile further in an hour using about the same energy as when paddling the Ventura. As Iím getting used to the boat Iím able to do a little better. Yesterday I paddled almost 12 miles in a little over 2 hours (so close to 6 mph while paddling, took a couple of breaks). Itís nice taking the kids (14 & 12) paddling with this boat because a kid in the Eliminator can almost keep up with me in a slow boat, and we get to see more than when they paddled the slow boats.

The Eliminator sits low so that you get lots of water in with you on rough days. It doesnít have scupper holes because you sit below the water surface. It has a venturi that you can open to suck out the water when you are moving fast (and swamp you when sitting still). The Eliminator is not a stable kayak, initial stability is not too bad, secondary is very low. This is not a fun boat to paddle in rough water, with all the fighting to drain the cockpit and stay upright.

The toe-operated rudder is nice because you can push on the foot brace without turning. It came with a strange fiberglass thing to sit on. This is nice for the kids because it can be adjusted for the length of your legs, but it made my legs fall asleep. I got rid of it and put in a foam Hot Seat, which is much more comfortable and lifts me out of the puddle. The boat comes without any lifting handles. I riveted on strap handles front, back and on the sides.