Submitted: 08-27-2002 by johns913

The Nigel Foster Legend is my second sea kayak; my first was a fiberglass P&H Capella. Much of my review of the Legend is based on my experience with the Capella. I sold the Legend and moved to the Capella because of two characteristics that I gradually came to dislike. First, the Capella had too much volume for me in the foredeck area. I am fairly big, 6'2", 225 lbs, and size 12 shoes. When I purchased the Capella, I liked the extra room, but as I got more into kayaking I wanted less volume. Secondly, the Capella carved nice turns but seemed slower to respond to edging than I wanted. I had to put the Capella on edge for a few seconds before it would start carving a turn then take it off edge before I made my intended heading, otherwise I would overshoot the turn. I didnít like the sloppy response-I wanted a kayak that would turn more crisply. The Legend corrected both problems for me; it turns when I edge it and stops turning when I take it off edge. I found the Legend's initial stability to be lower (it feels tippy at first) but the stability as you roll it from chine to chine is very good. The initial stability is only really noticed (tippy) in flat water; in even small waves the kayak is much more initially stable. I primarily paddle on Michiganís inland lakes with occasional trips to the Great Lakes. The hatches are completely watertight and the Legend will carry plenty of gear. Even though this is a fairly good-sized touring kayak, it only seems big on land. It is a pleasure to paddle, it runs straight and turns well once leaned. Edged and leaned turns are made easier by the good stability that is found by laying the boat over on its chine. The kayak rolls nicely, and is very accommodating for Greenland side sculls and chest sculls.