Submitted: 08-26-2002 by Joe G

This past April I tested various boats at paddlefest in Inlet NY and disappointedly rolled in the cold waters in a "storm". Well, pride hurt, and after practicing and obtaining proper paddling skills, from Sam at Lake George Kayak and then practicing for several weeks... I bought my dream boat, the Solstice GTS HV. I researched all brands and tested all on Lake George. I was totally surprised and blown over by this wonderful craft (I was intent on buying and Eddyline brand since I had previously tried my friends boat of that make). Primary stability is very comfortable and turns like a charm on edge with marvelous secondary stability. I have been enjoying nice long rides and there is plenty of room for storage. I really fell in love, however, with its naturally built in superior tracking and speed not to mention its graceful lines. I have yet found a need to use the rudder even in a severe cross wind as I experienced one day on Blue Mountain Lake. The design also keeps me dry even when I took 3 foot waves head on. It fits me perfectly. I am 5'10" 165 lbs so I have found it interesting to read the various sizes of the other people that have written. I believe that the Caribou S (that I also paddled) is another worthy craft but does not have the speed probably because it is much too spacious which takes away speed. I have not found a problem yet with my boat, other than I produced a kayak widow and I feel that all else is second to touring in my boat.

New York Kayak Co.: