Submitted: 08-26-2002 by Tom Sanderson

The acadia dt I purchased a couple of weeks ago is everything I hoped it would be. I was looking for someting that would allow me to flyfish places on local rivers and lakes that would be hard or imposible to reach by wading. I also wanted something that I could take out three or four days at a time. With the acadia I can't take along heaping coolers of steaks and beer, but traveling light it holds more than enough gear without feeling slow and slugish. It also allows me to start my trips paddling up stream so I can drift back down later. No shuttles to mess with. It tracks well and is stable enough to fish from without a second thought, but it's not so wide and stubby that I can't get at least ok speed on flatwater. The front deck rigging allows me to carry my flyrod without having to add a rod holder and the cockpit is large enough to enter/exit quickly but is still small enough to feel like a KAYAK and not an open boat like some other rec boats do. I can still jam my knees under the edges of the cockpit when I need to. The only change I made was to the seat. I swapped the plastic slip buckle (or whatever it is called) that adjusts the seatback for a plastic squeeze clip (the kind with the three prongs). I replaced the single elastic cord that holds the seatback down with two I can quickly unclip. This allows me to unfasten the seat and move it well out of the way of the stern cargo opening, making it easier to shove things in or pull things out without the seat back getting in the way or fliping back up. Water filling the rim around the cockpit is sort of annoying because it just seems the could have thought it out better, but it's really no big deal.