Submitted: 07-19-1999 by Jason, NC

I've had my Kevlar Dagger Meridian with skeg for about a year now. I absolutely love it. Although I've paddled many different boats both larger and smaller, I'm happy with my choice. At 6'0 and 165 the boat is the perfect size for me. Initial and secondary stability are perfect, allowing for the boat to handle rough, rolling waves with ease.

At 22 inches in width, this hull may be slim for some, but provides for excellent speed and gives the boat an awesome "snugness" factor, which I personally favor.

As far as tracking goes, with the skeg "enabled" the boat goes dead straight even at a maximum sprint. I am constantly amazed at how effective the skeg is, and plan for my next boat to have one as well. To make minor or major course changes, just pull up the skeg, change course, drop the skeg again, and voila... you're on your new heading. For loooooong trips, the skeg is indispensable and reduces fatigue immensely. I've found myself a few times trying to make slow speed 180 degree turns with much difficulty, only to realize the skeg is down, once you put it up, the Meridian is very easy to turn.

*Sidenote- if the Dagger people are listening* Get rid of that cheesy rudder thingy on the Sitka and other boats, either put a skeg on it, or nothing at all. I avoided buying a Sitka specifically because of it.**

Storage capacity is limited, but if you are in a "REAL" expedition mode, I think you could live out of it for 1 month. There's plenty of room to stock it with essentials, a tent and plenty of freeze dried food. I hope those complaining about storage capacity are not trying to stick the kitchen sink in it. ;) I've also tested the handling of the boat while it is fully loaded. If you'd like to try this at home, just fill both bulkheads half full of water, and paddle it around some. The Meridian handles very well with the added weight, although stability does diminish.

Hmmmmm.... another plus... since it's Kevlar, its a light, stiff, and very durable kayak. As with any boat, there are many personal preferences, so before dropping $2600 on a boat, demo it for at least a full day.

All in all, two thumbs up.