Submitted: 08-13-2002 by Bobo

I used this boat for two weeks in an ocean inlet/back bay setting. I paddled it solo, tandem, and loaded with children passengers. It was very stable in the calm water, but tracked very poorly with any wind. Poor tracking was an advantage when running cross current. It handled 2 ft waves soundly, but was bumpy. I had to constantly work to keep it tracking and every stroke required a correction. I was disappointed with the rigidity of the flat bottom. It looked like a trampoline in the slightest chop and was concave with any load. Old Town should consider adding ribs to improve rigidity across the 36" floor span. The concave floor probably added to the feeling like I was plowing it through the water. It was great for carrying cargo and moving about on the water. Great for young ones. It is the minivan of canoes. I returned it and purchased a Penobscot 16.