Submitted: 08-12-2002 by CPLEY

I purchased my Charleston at Benchmark Outfitters four weeks ago. This is my first kayak; I was looking for an intermediate level boat so as to try and prolong an upgrade. I feel this meets that criteria. The boat is relatively fast and quite manuverable with the skeg up. I've spent 16 hours on the water learning to control the boat and it does require a lot of effort to keep the boat tracking straight (with the skeg up). The boat also seems to have a propensity to veer left. I do find that the boat has good stability and speed. As I am a beginner, I chalk the control issues up to my lack of skill and not to inherent design flaws. I love the peace and quiet of paddling and plan on spending many more hours on the water. After I have several dozen more hours under my belt I will offer a more informed review.