Submitted: 07-30-2002 by Mike Galoob

I have an Avocet RM that I bought used from a local kayak shop's end of year rental sale. Of all the plastic boats I've paddled this one is by far the most fun. It is zippy and manueverable. It's sporty design (low rear deck and strong rocker) allow the paddler to quickly learn rolls, braces, and leaned turns. It's great in the surf and on rivers as well. The VCP hatches are easy to get in and out of and are watertight even in the surf zone and rolling. The day hatch should be on every kayak. The skeg allows you to adjust for any windage and makes open crossings much easier. My only complaint is the durability of the skeg cable design. Mine is constantly jamming and the cable housing allows water to leak into the rear compartment. Luckily this boat paddles great without the skeg so it isn't much of a problem. The cheap backband is also subpar, but I wouldn't choose any other plastic boat to paddle.