Submitted: 07-29-2002 by Ed

I have been using the JIMCO Portage Trailer Tandem to transport, portage and store 2 kayaks for about four weeks now with exceptional results. Before I get to the details, I want to say a few words about the company.

While doing product research, I called JIMCO several times and spoke with Jim who is the company owner and designer of the Portage Trailer. Each time I talked with Jim, he addressed my questions in great detail and was also very objective in helping me decided if his product was right for me. Also, Jim is one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to and was even willing to work with my truncated time schedule due to family vacation.

The trailer arrived TWO days before Jim had promised it would be there, in four boxes from UPS. Packing was excellent. Assembly took a little under two hours (ok, Iím a little slow) but went very smoothly thanks to great directions & illustrations. The first impression was WOW! This thing is engineered to the max. All quality Stainless Steel hardware and components, no junk here!

The first trip was our annual vacation to the Delaware shore with 2 kayaks and a bunch of other vacation type stuff loaded on the trailer. During this time, the trailer was pulled behind our Explorer at speeds of up to 70 mph on the highway and portaged through sand filled bayside parking lots, all with no problems. And it tracked straight as an arrow to boot. It also managed to receive quite a bit of attention from passers by on the highway and from several people around town. Even the guy who runs the local kayak rental concession was favorably impressed with the engineering and functionality.

Since then, I have been on two trips to the Susquehanna River over the famously poor Pennsylvania roadways, and several trips to the local lakes, all with no problems and no worries. I store my boats on the trailer when not in use and use it to portage to the waterís edge. I now have more time to enjoy my sport and no longer have to endure the hassles previously associated with going for a short paddle.

One final word; I was initially somewhat put off at the price of the trailer. However, after seeing the engineering involved and the quality of components, and especially the convenience and time savings that I now enjoy, and also considering the fact that this trailer has solved three problems for me, I now feel the price is quite fair and in fact, a bargain. This is a good product from a good company and I give both my highest recommendation.